Monday, January 18, 2010

The Generation of Trash Talk


I have recently been playing my fair share of the hit game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. In this latest installment of the Call of Duty franchise Infinity Ward made it so that you HAVE to be in game chat while playing some game modes online. This causes you to have to unplug your microphone or talk to people you may not know. Personally, I'd rather be in a "party" so I can talk to friends that are playing a different game then me, but this isn't always possible when I play some Modern Warfare 2 at times.

I understand that Infinity Ward was trying to promote team work and communication, but it's been proven not to work. Basically game chat should be renamed "trash talk." Over the weekend my friends and I were playing, we are all between the ages 15 and 18. In game chat, there were two guys were obviously between the ages 9 and 12. The surprising thing was the words they were saying. They were along the line of "yeah I f****in owned that f'er" or "F**K HE JUST RAPED ME". Honestly it was getting extremely old so luckily you have the possibility to mute others.


Yes, I know what do you expect? People talking trash online. I understand older players and my age group are known to cuss also. This got me thinking, is online gaming breeding a generation of impolite people? Who is to say that these younger kids are not taking these online habits and applying them to real life? To be honest I am a polite person, my mom taught me manners and I practice them. Much of the time people are surprised when I simply say things like "please" and "thank you". In 8th grade at end of the school year movie party I was the only kid apparently out of eighty to say thank you when I received popcorn. This obsessive trash talking online is defiantly not going to help this lack of manners which appears to be turning into an epidemic.

Sadly, my generation must fix this crisis we are in. If we can't practice simple things such as being polite, we are in a great amount of trouble. (I am not saying I never cuss cause I do, but not as much as some of these younger gamers who seem to use vulgar language just because they can) Also, I would like to give a shout out for my mom, her blog is http://goodygirlred.typepad.com/goodygirlred/. Don't forget to subscribe ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment